The whole Texas Concealed Handgun program is a task delegated to the Texas Department of Public Safety. They handle all applications, background checks, fingerprint processing, renewals, suspensions, revocations — everything!
To begin the process of applying for your LTC, you can start by filling out the online LTC application. This is BY FAR the easiest (and fastest) way to get the ball rolling. Even if you haven’t yet taken a LTC class, the DPS will already begin examining your application and getting a background check from the local authorities and the FBI. You’ll be way ahead by completing this step as soon as possible, even BEFORE you take the class!
Here’s how to get the ball rolling:
This is what you’ll see:
• If you’re a NEW applicant, click on the “Apply” button on the LEFT.
• Applicants returning to check their status should click on the RIGHT button.
• Be sure to have all the information they request before beginning. This way, you won’t have to stop and continue later.
• The state fee for the application varies, but begins at $40 for a new applicant with no qualifying discounts. A full list of fees and associated discounts can be found HERE.
• Note that fees paid to the DPS are NON-refundable. Also, once you make your application and pay your fee, you only have one year to complete the process. After that, you forfeit your fee and you must start all over again.
At the end of the application process, you’ll be given the opportunity to make an appointment to get your fingerprints electronically scanned, which is the NEXT step.